Monday, February 4, 2013

Week 5 Update: Dreaded Birthday Cake Bulge!


Who knew that a slice of ice cream cake and a little potato salad weighed a pound? Well it doesn’t but the scale showed that there is a little extra of me this week. I am up 1 pound but at least this time I was expecting it. We had Aidan’s birthday party and company over the weekend. I still tracked but I used a lot of my weekly extra points which I usually reserve till Monday night AFTER my weigh in.
I had a bit of surprising experience that really solidified for me the importance of writing down what you eat. On Saturday we had a little party for Aidan. I just set out some salads, sandwich fixings, olives and then for dessert we had a very tasty ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins. My parents were visiting so we had a croissant with yogurt and fruit for breakfast and we were all tired so we just had grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. Not a horrible day, in fact I thought I might actually be under in points. I didn’t overeat; no second helpings, only a small piece of cake, and I only drank Perrier or water all day yet when I tallied up my points for the day I was over my limit by almost 25 points! Little things add up and it is easy to lose track if you are not writing it down. If you are not on weight watchers, try my fitness pal or spark people. There are lots of online tools for tracking your food and exercise. You might be surprised at what you find!
I have been toying with the idea of dropping WHEAT from my diet for 21 days to see if some of my health issues improve. When I was pregnant I had terrible heartburn and my Naturopath suggested I give up wheat. It was like a miracle, the relief was instant. I was only off it for 3-4 weeks and during that time I noticed some eczema I had cleared up and my joints weren’t as sore. As a nutritionist I know that wheat is not the best but I find it is so hard for most people to give up, myself included. If you haven’t read the book “WHEAT BELLY” you should pick it up. It is so eye-opening!
I figure if I say that I am going to avoid it for 21 days instead of the dreaded FOREVER, perhaps I won’t go into Louise panic mode. Who knows, I may feel so good that I will want to stay off it for good or at least greatly decrease my consumption. Ok I have talked myself into it; I am going to start tomorrow and will stay off wheat until February 25th. Anyone want to take the challenge with me?

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot of talk about "wheat belly"....very interesting. I'm anxious to see what comes of your extra challenge. You are fierce!

    ReplyDelete