Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lessons Learned from Facebook


Are you your own #1 fan? Are you a cheerleader in your own life? If you are like most people the answer to those questions would be a resounding NO. Whether it is because we are taught to be humble and not think too highly of ourselves or because of the internal dialogue telling us we are not good enough, most people are way too hard on themselves. I am no exception.
 I want to tell you about my friend Jodi. She has suffered so much loss in her life. Her mother passed away when we were just teenagers, then she lost her best friend and just recently her father. Is she sad and lonely at times? Of course, who wouldn’t be? But what I see from the outside looking in is someone who is a survivor with a great sense of humor about life and a positive “don’t mess with me” attitude. She keeps taking blows but keeps getting back up. By contrast if I look at my life, I am blessed to have wonderful support system however I often feel overwhelmed, over-looked and down for the count. Besides our situations, where lies the difference between Jodi and I?
I saw it clearly the other night in one of her comments on good old Facebook. I am sure she didn’t think too much of it when she posted it but it really stood out to me as profound.  She had posted these lyrics from Edwin McCain’s song “I’ll Be”: You're my survival, you're my living proof. My love is alive, and not dead....I'll be love's suicide. I'll be better when I'm older. I'll be the greatest fan of your life
Someone posted and said with love “Jodi, you need to be the biggest fan of your life” and she responded with “I have been ever since my Mum died 19 years ago. I am President, Vice-President, Prime Minister, CEO, Owner, and Creator of my fan club....lol...No wonder I'm so damn tired!”
I loved her response. She looks out for herself, she cheers herself on, and she knows that she is doing the best that she can. She is not seeking outside approval; she IS the greatest fan of her life. I have glimpses where I think to myself  “DAMN GIRL you are something special!” but those thoughts are usually fleeting and replaced with “You really should work on A, B and C!” I am going to take a lesson from Jodi and start my own “Louise” fan club with a very exclusive member list…..ME.
Thanks Jodi and keep kicking ass girl!

2 comments:

  1. I love it Louise!! I also know Jodi very well and your right, she is a fighter. Congradulations on your own remarkable personal journey. I'm cheering you on <3
    Angie Zinck-Paquette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Louise! And Angie ♥ You are both very good judges of character. I'm really not all that different than most people...I was just forced to learn hard lessons at a young age, and I had to learn how to get back up and fight. It doesn't come naturally to me. When my Mum died, I fell apart for 5 years. I was in so much pain and I was so angry. I try not to think about all the time I threw away because I didn't know how to live without her. It wasn't until my oldest daughter was born that I realized there was something in my life that was bigger and better than my pain and self pity. I felt like I had a reason to be here. I so appreciate your kind words..and I hope you are always your own biggest fan...we all need to be. Thanks again ♥

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete