Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Whatcha Eating??


Even though I am trying not to focus so much on food in this journey the fact remains that this gal loves food. A lot of you have been contacting me asking what I am eating.  While I don’t want to get into posting my food intake daily (that isn’t what the blog is about), I thought that every Tuesday I will fill you on my fave food finds of the week.  So here you go:

·        Jon’s Dad gave us a beautiful big block of 2 year old cheddar. This would normally be a total danger zone but we actually had some with granny smith apple slices for breakfast on Sunday. We sliced it very thinly, weighed out 2 servings each (worth 8 points for those of you on WW) and enjoyed every morsel. If you have never had old cheddar and apple, try it! It satisfied us for the whole morning and felt decedent.

·         Earlier in the week I made a really delicious and easy bean dip using Amy’s Organic Refried Beans. I mixed a can of the beans with some salsa to have with sliced veggies and rice crackers. I also tried it heated up with a laughing cow cheese wedge melted in it. VERY good and satisfying!

·         I am not usually big on frozen dinners. I find them over processed and lacking in flavor. Not the case with the WW Smart Ones. Over processed? Yes but they are quite tasty and good in a pinch. I like to have them as an option for lunches. They are on sale this week at Wal-Mart for $1.99 each (good deal!). The chicken fajita pizza and roast turkey dinner are both very good.

·         In my green smoothie this week I discovered that baby bok choy is really mild in flavor and a great addition. It is also very high in calcium. Green smoothies rock my socks so I will most likely do a whole post on them at some point.

·         Spaghetti squash sounds gross but it is awesome (even if you are not a squash person). I discovered this veggie while I was doing low carb. It is the perfect replacement for pasta with virtually no calories. WAY better than those shirataki noodles that are all the rage (rubber bands as I call them). This week I discovered that you can cook one of these squash super-fast and easily in the slow cooker. I didn’t even cut it open first. Just pop it in with a little bit of water and it was done in about 2 hours on high. Use this with a nice meaty pasta sauce and you will be thanking me!

I hope this gives you some ideas to try. Feel free to share your food finds with me as well!

1 comment:

  1. haha, I am sure Peter can pick out an awesome cheese. He is quite the chef. Say hi to them for me :)

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete