Wednesday, January 9, 2013

These Boots are made for Walking!


Discipline has never been my strong suit ESPECIALLY when it comes to exercise. I used to look for any excuse not to do it; too hot, too cold, sore back, rabid coyotes wandering the streets…you get the point. If I could get out of it I would because frankly, I was lazy. Now I realize that I am only a week into this journey but something feels very different this time around. I feel like my programming is changing.

We all have scripts we tell ourselves whether we realize it or not. They are constantly running in the back of our mind. Scripts about our bodies, our relationships, our finances, our abilities, etc. They could be positive but more often than not they are holding us back. As a society, we are taught from a young age to be humble, not to brag, not to be too outlandish. God forbid we stand out in a crowd or sing our own praises. I had a script about exercise that I didn’t like it, I sucked at it and frankly it was the devil! No wonder I made excuses to avoid it!

On January 1st I started writing (morning and night) that I “Walk a little further every day and feel my body getting leaner and stronger with each step” and I feel different. I am changing my script. I noticed it very clearly this morning. I was tucked in bed with Jon and the dog sound asleep beside me. We have indulged in some new linens so our bed is extra cozy these days. The baby was still at rest and the sky was looking dark and cold outside. The thought crossed my mind to stay in bed and trade dog walking duties with Jon. “Honey if you walk Simon this morning, I will walk him tonight” I would ask ever so sweetly and Jon, being such a loving husband, would oblige. But today something was different because as soon as that thought came into my mind it was replaced with “Get your ass out of bed and get moving woman! You will feel so much better when it is done!”

 No laying there talking myself out of the walk, I was actually talking myself into it!  This is huge people!!!! Yes, 4 exclamation points huge! This is the power of goals. Even though my boots are too tight, I have blisters on my feet, it is cold and I have to literally drag my dog out of bed, I WANTED to go for my walk this morning. I wanted to feel leaner and stronger with each step and the best part is that I DO.

No comments:

Post a Comment